In order to better familiarize yourself with the notion of COMMONS, and in particular of COMMONS called Universal and Natural and also called Physical COMMONS, here is a short presentation, which is not intended to be exhaustive, of what are Natural COMMONS.
- Natural COMMONS are all COMMONS that are based on a natural resource, abundant or not, on Earth or elsewhere.
- The notion of Universal means, either a Common Good present throughout the Earth (Air for example). Or a Common Good whose benefits of exploitation must be shared by all. (i.e Gold Mine underwater outside the Territorial Waters)
Here is therefore, on the basis of these two criteria, a beginning of the list of Universal Physical COMMONS:
– All Raw Mineral Materials in the broad sense, initially located outside Territorial Waters.
– All forms of oil (liquid, bitumen,…) and Gas (liquid, shale,…) outside the Territorial Waters initially as seen above. Parks, Reserves and biological and ecological preservation areas, such as what Australia’s Great Barrier Reef or the Amazon could be.
– Mountains that are symbolic for Human Culture such as Mount Everest, Mont Blanc, Elbrusz, Mount Ararat, Sinai, Kilimanjaro, Aconcagua, Denali, Puncak Jaya, Mount Kosciuszko to name but the highest and most culturally known. But many other Mountains, or hills, have cultural significance or are remarkable beauties to add to the list of COMMONS.
– Important Lakes and Rivers such as the Nile or the Amazon.
P.S 0 Agricultural Resources (fields, orchards, etc…) are not among these types of Universal Goods.
This post is also available in: Français (French)